Help

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 19:39:30 -0600

>Help, In my move from Louisiana to Texas I lost my formula for mixing
>acetone and plastic keytops for hammer hardening.

My understanding is one keytop to 8 ounces Acetone.  FYI: Pianotek sells
Hammer Hardener Pellets where 1/2 pound makes 40 - 8 ounce bottles.  Also
available from them are pre-mixed bottles.

> Also how much to apply
>to new hammers and also those two or three mushy sounding ones in older
>pianos.
>...Dick Powell

You can dilute a pre-mixed bottle to much lesser strengths allowing you to
experiment on the safe side.  Keep in mind, it's always a judgement call to
determine what strength to use, how much to apply, and where to apply it.

As long as you are willing to bear the responsibility for applying the
Acetone mix, and correct any overhardening situation, have at it.  It's
always a learning experience, and no two situations and/or their results
are quite the same.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731