Pianodisc vs QRS pianomation

Carol Beigel carolrpt@hotmail.com
Wed, 01 Nov 2000 19:42:16 EST

Well, that sort of IS my point! I am an independent technician who does the
Disklavier work in this area.  It seems like I see several DKs every week,
so my skills stay polished.  BTW, most of the work is Dealer Prep and
initial in-home service - NOT repairs! :)  And no matter how old or what
model, Yamaha can supply parts.

When people spend the thousands of dollars to buy these systems, they expect
them to work properly for many years! If you were to contact PianoDisc for
parts for a PD32 system, they would just laugh and tell you to have your
customer upgrade their system!

Since Pianomation systems have not changed as much, I am assuming that parts
are easier to get, no matter how old the system.

I have no intention of learning to do PD installs, since I would have to do
this for a dealer, and they always want a discounted price on a tech's
labor.  No thank you! And I certainly would not want to sell a system that
the manufacturer considered "ancient technology" after 5 years!  Since I
doubt if I will ever see enough of these systems to keep up to speed, there
is just not enough money in it.  I prefer to refer the work to someone more
experienced.

My concern is that the most experienced people I know, who actually did MANY
installations when they worked for the dealer, no longer are willing to
service the PianoDisc systems.Why? From the calls I get, when that dealer
does send a technician, they are unable to fix the problem. Why?  Maybe this
is just an East Coast vs.West Coast thing!

It doesn't help the reputations of any of us to have customers sitting out
there with piano-playing systems that won't play and cannot be properly
serviced.  So help me out and recommend someone!

Carol Beigel
Greenbelt, Maryland