Rebuilding vs. restoring

PSFInc PSFInc@email.msn.com
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 11:37:31 -0500

Greg,

Very well said. At times we have to walk a fine line between the playability
and of an instrument or the actual restoration and preservation of the piano
sacrificing performance. It boils down to the intention of the client's
purpose for the piano.
The intent of the museum is to restore the piano to it's original condition
which means that nothing is to be introduced into the piano that was not
currently in place at manufacturing. The only exception is what is
physically missing and even then those "parts" are to be duplicated to match
the original. The soundboard has sufficient crown but many cracks.
It will not be replaced although in any other piano we would drop in a new
board.( That would be rebuilding, not restoring.)The soundboard did not have
a decal on it, which leads me to wonder if a previous technician had removed
it in doing earlier work on the piano. Once we pull the plate we will send
some samples of the soundboard varnish off to have it analyzed, that should
also let us know if the plate color was altered.If you could shed some light
on the decal I would appreciate it.  The rosewood  veneer was separating
from the case and the inlays had to be removed and reglued. The case is now
back to it's original color of a cross between a medium brown mahogany shade
to a teak colored wood. We used the original type of finish used for the
period which is a shellac applied with the same technique for the period
which is the hand rubbed French polishing method. We are fortunate that we
have a mastercraftsman restorer in our employment from Italy whose past
clients included Gianni Versace, Luigi Innocenti, Sergio Biemmi, and others.
He came to us with extensive museum restoration experience in Europe.
Of course all of our work is documented in a conservator's report that we
include with the piano showing photos of all aspects of the work as well as
parts used and a list of all glues, powders, stains etc...so that the next
set of restores can see exactly what and how the restoration was done. ( The
paperwork is the not so glamorous side of restoration.) Well, that's kinda
where we are at this point. One more thing we found a PTG tuning sticker
stuck to the side of the plate strut with tuning dates scribbled in ink.
TACKY

Regards,

Ed Mashburn,RPT
Piano Services of Florida,Inc.