broken string in Ricca piano

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Sun, 05 Nov 2000 23:31:16 -0800

I would guess there's about 3 inches between the winding and the break.  It
would be the first string I've spliced, though.  I'm not a tech yet.  It's
the one at the top of the bass bridge in a 56 1/2" piano.

By the way, does anyone know where I can find out who all made pianos
taller than 54" or with A1 string length longer than 57/60" in the early
1900s and what the maximum height was?  I am especially interested in
Wurlitzer piano history in that time frame, up to today's models.  Also
where could I find good pianos to practice on so I can learn to be a
tech?  Right now I need to concentrate on college, but I would appreciate
your input.  I would prefer pianos made before the depression, and I'm
thinking ones that haven't been serviced since before the 1950s (that
includes tuning).