Dead note--no sustain

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Mon, 06 Nov 2000 14:59:17 -0700

This suspiciously sounds like a loose bridge cap to me.  If the glue under
the cap is deteriorating or otherwise loosing it can create a slight bubble
below specific notes.  This looseness may not even be visible.  I have had a
number of pianos where there were dead sections but were surrounded by normal
sounding notes.  Upon closer examination I could just barely see a
compression ridge forming under the bridge.  By playing the effected note(s)
while pushing down on the cap with a screwdriver it suddenly came back to
life.  This would be an excellent test to start with.  If it turns out to be
a bridge cap problem there may be other areas that are coming loose and will
soon follow the same fate.  If the piano is of decent quality and
economically worth a full repair then the effected areas of defect should be
destrung and the cap fully loosened and then properly reglued.  If the piano
is of questionable value then an option would be to remove selected strings
in strategic areas of the cap and install flat head screws between notes
countersunk flush with the top of the cap.  If possible work a little glue
into the loose areas.  This will quite often do the trick.  Good luck!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV