NPR election day

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 08 Nov 2000 07:43:45 -0500

Friends,

Well, fascinating situation here.  I understand from the news that at
this moment the state of Florida is still undecided, and the outcome of
Florida determines the election at this point.  First it was declared
for Gore, then as more votes came in it was called undecided, then
declared for Bush, now undecided *again* as they recount the votes.  At
one point Gore called Bush and conceded the election to him, but
retracted that later.  If the TV has it right, it could be a couple days
before we know for sure.

I saw on the news this morning that one of the local papers had as its
big headline "Bush Elected."  That was premature, although one can't
really fault them very much, seeing how things went.  If the final
results find Gore as our new president-elect, I expect to see him waving
one of these, just as Truman did when it was assumed Dewey won.  But
that was before my time; I do remember the photo, though.

So I went and bought a copy of the paper.  Might be a little bit of
history someday.  I still have somewhere a couple newspapers of
Kennedy's assassination from 1963.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger