Baldwin Hamilton

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Wed, 08 Nov 2000 10:42:17 -0500

Re: the Hamiltons I have found that a good, careful
regulation with attention paid to friction in keys (polish
keypins, lubricate and lubricate bushings) a careful check
of bushing fit will resolve many of the issues you are
experiencing.  But...

The leverage of the key was designed to not need key leads
but I have found many which needed leading because the touch
was too light.

The return springs of the butt complicates things a bunch
but I would suggest that some lead in the keys will improve
the playability of the piano considerably.  Measure the up
and the down weight.  The average of the two is the balance
weight and half the difference between the two is the
friction.  You might find that the friction is low, in the
four and five gram area.

After the regulation and friction attention I would use a
set of Jiffy leads and get the balance weight in the 45 to
39 range.  The piano will play much better.

This is a simplistic approach but it will work quite well.

		Newton