Lube for plastic flanges?

RustRazor@AOL.COM RustRazor@AOL.COM
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 16:23:14 EST

I once tried Protek on a piano with plastic action centers, but it didn't
happen to work.  The lubricant is supposed to interact with the pin and
bushing, so I don't necessarily believe that plastic vs. wood has that much
to do with it.  If Protek won't work, you can try an alcohol/water solution
(50/50) and leave it overnight.  If THAT doesn't work it means repinning, in
which case you may want to replace the flanges all together, whether they are
breaking right now or not.

I, personally, will not work on a piano with breaking plastic flanges because
when you fix one thing another breaks, and sometimes the flanges are so shot
that they break under normal playing conditions.  GOOD LUCK!!!

Matt Wynne, NY