RIPPEN soundboards -- its gotten longer

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Thu, 09 Nov 2000 15:25:36 -0700

At 08:19 AM 11/9/2000 -0800, Del wrote:

> > And what is the wavelength for 27 hertz? I was once told it is about 27
> > feet. Difficult to design a piano that large.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T.

>In air at sea level and at freezing the speed of sound is approximately 331
>m/sec or approx. 1090 ft/sec.  It increases as temperature increases.  Using
>this figure, the wavelength at 27.5 cps is 12 m or 39.6 ft.
>
>Other than being of academic interest, however, this knowledge is of little
>importance in designing a piano.  The implication is that it would be
>desirable for the piano to have a bass string designed of that length;
>something I would take issue with.

Where would you PUT a 40 foot long piano anyway?  B-})

Wouldn't the implication actually be that you'd need to be 40 feet away
from that frozen sea-level piano to hear that note properly?

                 John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
email: john@musselwhite.com    http://www.mp3.com/fatbottom