Steinway Style 2 data (was Short Scale/Decal for 1866 Steinway)

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:59:58 -0700

At 04:53 AM 11/10/2000 -0500, Bill Shull wrote:

>In addition, there is some evidence that this piano may have been intended to
>be tuned at over A-450, possibly A-454 to A-457.  This seems to be the pitch
>standard which the British and Italians favored during this time period
>(1860's and 1870's), and which Steinway may have been using (Steinway's
>intent was to beat out the European pianomakers in the big European
>manufacture competitions).

I spoke with Bill Garlick at the Chinook Keyboard Centre (our wonderful
piano museum) the other day and he confirmed that early Steinway pianos (he
didn't specify which years though) were designed and built to be tuned to
A=454.

                 John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
email: john@musselwhite.com    http://www.mp3.com/fatbottom