Yamaha tuning problem

David Streit streit_david@hotmail.com
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 10:14:02 -0800

I ran into a problem that I don't remember hearing.  It's got me =
stumped.  I'll include some details in hope I can get a good answer.

I tuned two Yamahas for a customer in her teaching studio.  One piano =
was a Model U-11 Ser # T 121496 and the other a G3 Ser # 1098046.  The =
grand had two pedals and a data plate on the inside of the case so I am =
assuming it was mfg. in Japan.  I did not attempt to tune them together =
as I know the scale is different and the client wasn't interested.  Both =
pianos had the same problem. =20

Neither piano had been tuned in two years and the client tried to =
convince me that it was a "new thing" that piano manufacturers had =
"just" started recommending a piano be tuned every six months.  =
Amazingly the lady was blessed/cursed with an uncanny ear that could =
pick out every false beat and nuance.  She called my attention to the =
low bass in each piano. Neither piano sounded right.

I did all the checks and all beats were correct. The octaves just didn't =
sound right on the on the first 6 or 7 notes.  I figured I would just =
tune them as clean octaves, but I could not get the lower notes in line. =
The partials were beating so fast either way, the notes sounded horrid =
with the rest of the piano.

Is there a possibility the scaling is off?  Tapping down the strings =
doesn't help, twisting either.  There is a bit of rust on the grand, but =
the other is clean.  I'm kind of at my wits end.  Am I missing anything? =

Mark Wisner, you told me you read all the Yamaha stuff on Pianotech, =
would you care to comment?

Thanks,=20

Dave Streit
Portland, OR=20