Politics!

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 00:39:59 -0600

> <<Looking at Fla in the postition to decide the out come of the
Presidential
> election only because of something called the Electoral College, even
after
> one candidate already has the the majority of popular votes, you gotta
> wonder "what the heck" but it ain't Jim B's fault.  ---ric>>
>

> One good thing about the electoral college is that it disallows the more
> populous states to "outvote" the smaller states. With its massive
population
> in a popular vote election, a more populous state like California could
very
> easily dictate the national outcome of a low-voter-turnout election.
States
> have more representation under the electoral college system.

I must ask why should "states" have more representation than the people in
presidential elections?  I don't vote as a state, I vote as a person.  I
thought that was one thing that was settled in the Civil War, even though
the blood of my ancestors was shed  for "states rights".

> I think things will stay as they are because the constitution would have
> be amended. The present electoral college is probably the best system for
> our country made up of many states which vary greatly in population. Some
of
> the more conservative, smaller states do not want their voting power
reduced
> by the liberal "left" coasts.
>
> John Formsma
> Blue Mountain, MS

And what about some of the more liberal smaller states who don't want their
"voting power" reduced by a giant conservative state like.... Texas
perhaps??

Forget the "states" give the vote to the people.

I say amend the Constitution.  The electoral college is the only reason why
this election isn't decided.    ---ric.