Politics!

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 09:20:12 -0600

>I was on the internet looking for stuff in connection with Glenn's post even
>though I should know I have to look no further than Rush Limbaugh for the
>truth,

You must be joking <g>. I dont think anyone but the lunatic fringe
can call the authors of this piece radical leftists, they are
generally anti-establishment and pro-freedom, and where they come out
logically is where you would expect the so-called freedom loving
republicans to be, on the side of the individual whose voice is being
surpressed by the all powerful state. Amazing how convictions easily
accomodate personal gain.

>THE STAFF OF TOMPAINE.COM have published the following article:
>
>SO GORE SHOULD CONCEDE?
>
>November 9, 2000 - The Republicans have insisted that Al Gore should
>gracefully concede defeat and allow the nation to move on.
>
>That's certainly one way of looking at things.  But why is the
>burden on
>Gore?  Just as good a case can be made that Bush is the one who should
>gracefully concede defeat.
>
>Here's how the case could be argued.  While a recount may well
>give Bush
>more votes in Florida than Gore, an abundance of evidence has
>surfaced in
>the last thirty-six hours to suggest that Gore actually was the candidate
>Floridians thought they were voting into office.
>
>A reverse of logic is required to believe that democracy is
>honored by
>ignoring the will of the people in deference to a strict
>adherence to
>municipal regulations regarding the punching of small holes in a
>slip of
>paper.  To follow such a course is to mistake the form of
>democracy with the
>actual thing.   (my emphasis)

(snip)

--