Politics!

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 09:27:59 -0800

RE: Politics!Ah, Dave...

I guess I should have put in the happy face.  I thought the sarcasm was
pretty evident, but apparently not.

David I.

  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Dave Doremus
  Sent: Sunday, November 12, 2000 7:20 AM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: RE: Politics!

    I was on the internet looking for stuff in connection with Glenn's post
even
    though I should know I have to look no further than Rush Limbaugh for
the
    truth,

  You must be joking <g>. I dont think anyone but the lunatic fringe  can
call the authors of this piece radical leftists, they are generally
anti-establishment and pro-freedom, and where they come out logically is
where you would expect the so-called freedom loving republicans to be, on
the side of the individual whose voice is being surpressed by the all
powerful state. Amazing how convictions easily accomodate personal gain.

    THE STAFF OF TOMPAINE.COM have published the following article:

    SO GORE SHOULD CONCEDE?

    November 9, 2000 - The Republicans have insisted that Al Gore should
    gracefully concede defeat and allow the nation to move on.

    That's certainly one way of looking at things.  But why is the
    burden on
    Gore?  Just as good a case can be made that Bush is the one who should
    gracefully concede defeat.

    Here's how the case could be argued.  While a recount may well
    give Bush
    more votes in Florida than Gore, an abundance of evidence has
    surfaced in
    the last thirty-six hours to suggest that Gore actually was the
candidate
    Floridians thought they were voting into office.

    A reverse of logic is required to believe that democracy is
    honored by
    ignoring the will of the people in deference to a strict
    adherence to
    municipal regulations regarding the punching of small holes in a
    slip of
    paper.  To follow such a course is to mistake the form of
    democracy with the
    actual thing.   (my emphasis)

  (snip)

    Evidence is mounting by the hour that these regulations are
    being used by
    the Bush camp to hide behind, and rather ungracefully.

    If Bush ends up winning the Florida recount, and if
    investigators find truth
    to the allegations, that will mean that Bush -- having lost the popular
    vote -- will have a dubious mandate, based on questionable
    election results
    in a state where his brother is governor.  That sounds too
    Yugoslavian to be
    from the nation that sees itself as the pillar of the free world.

    Rick Shenkman
    Managing Editor
    TomPaine.com
    historians@tompaine.com