attachements

Greg Anderson greg@planetbeagle.com
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 10:46:57 -0800

At 11:02 AM 11/12/00 -0800, Kevin E. Ramsey RPT wrote:
>Here, Here, I vote for the attachments also.

Me too.  The best way to avoid e-mail viruses is to never ever ever run Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express on your PC.  No, this is not just the usual MicroSquish Bashing.  Outlook is the best platform virus writers ever had.  It routinely by default executes code sent to you without your knowledge or permission, in enough different situations that I have long ago given up on identifying them all.

There are other fine e-mail readers out there.  I highly recommend Qualcomm's Eudora.  With Eudora I can clearly see all the attachments and they are never opened unless I explicitly double-click on them.  Their file types are never hidden from me.

A common ruse in Outlook is to attach a file that Outlook says is, for example, a ".gif" file, when in fact it is really an executable ".exe" or ".pif" file.  Under some circumstances, Outlook will show a file called "piano_picture.gif.exe" as simply "piano_picture.gif".  Then when you click on it, instead of seeing a picture, you have just executed the virus, which can now do *anything* at all to your computer.

Once you can see the true file types of all attachments, you can make informed decisions about what to do with them.  I immediately delete any executable code sent to me by someone I don't know, really well. ;-)  Things that I believe are pictures I "open" with Photoshop.  If they don't display correctly, they also get deleted.

Using these techniques, I have never been infected via e-mail.  (I did once get infected by an MS Word virus embedded in a Word document sent to me by an unwitting client, but that's another story.  ;-)

Best Regards,
Greg