hard tuning Young Chang..reprise

bhebert BHebert@compuserve.com
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 20:47:09 -0500

I have found that liquid wrench works well on sticky strings, as long as
there is a felt between the bearing point and the tuning pin to catch the
creep.  Of course never, never, never anywhere around the wound strings and
you might get creep reaching the dampers.

Has anyone else found that 3 in 1 causes sticking?

I haven't yet tried Protec there, but will soon!

B. Hebert

In a message dated 11/10/00 10:36:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
JIMRPT@AOL.COM
writes:

<<
  I tuned this thingee yesterday but before I tuned it I did the following:
 a. I cleaned the web area of all dust/debris.
 b. I wiped down the capo bars/strings using a cloth and brush.
 c. I used a small artist brush and applied 'protec' to the strings in
front
 of, and behind the capo bars.
 d. Using the brush I applied 'protec' to the counter bearing felts between

 pin and capo bars.
 e. I took my cloth and wiped up all excess 'protec' on strings and felts.

My mentor said a long time ago never to use WD-40 near strings because, it
is
theorized, it can wick its way along the string to the tuning pin and into
the block causing loss of tuning stability.  Kind of alarmist...maybe.   My

question is: Has protek ever been known for wicking properties?   Your
system
sounds like a good idea as long as there's no risk of contaminating the
block.

Matt W. in sunny New York

<

Blaine Hebert