SV: Hallå Stephen Birkett

Mon, 13 Nov 2000 09:06:00 +0100

Ola Andersson wrote:

> > > In Norway there is very little interest for Music History.
> >
> > ????????????????????? Who have YOU been talking too ??
>
> I'm happy you asked
>
> Dizzy Gillespie, Wolfgang Guettler, Charlie Haden, Klaus Stoll. Don Cherry, Maurice Andre, Red Mitchel, Christer Sjögren, Petrucciani, Jan Garbarek, Danny Richmond, Bjørk, Frank Gambale, and many many  many more but not Stephen Birkett. I would very much like to put him on my list.

Well after 25 years of tuning for these fellows and a lot more as well for Molde Jazz festival, Natt Jazz, after haveing an intimate working relationship with Bergen and Hordaland areas proffesional musicians and music institutions, getting to know and work with the people who actually
live here instead of simply writting them off as worthless.... I happen to actually know that your conclusion is simple balderdash. There is a thriving interest in historical music. A large portion of the budjet at Greigakadamiet goes to this (University of Bergen... the town you live
in ...) Further Festspill each year has many concerts for pre-baroque music. There is the  musuem in Trondheim, one of Scandinavias most complete for historical instruments. I could go on and on.

> After 25 years on the music scene playing all styles of music, comparing cities like Stockholm. Paris. Berlin. Amsterdam.Copenhagen. Reykjavik to Norway, My impression is Norway is not intrested in Music history
> And if you also invite me for a Turkey dinner I tell you more.

I am sure you would tell me lots Ola. And I am aware of your impression of Norway and Norwegians. I think its time you open yourself up to the resources around you and participate actively instead of sitting on the sidelines and complaining about the lack of this and the lack of that.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.