Wanna Guess? NPR (Not Politically Related)

Mitch Ruth mitch_ruth@hotmail.com
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 10:10:26 EST

Hey List,

I had an interesting call on Saturday and I wanted to see if you wanted to
have a little fun with it.

I went out into the hinterlands (not far for me)to a home with an Everett
spinet sized piano.  I turned out to be an early 50's model with a bent-key
direct blow action (I don't know the proper tech term for it.) It was given
to this family by "a friend" so that the little girl there might learn to
play.

Of course this piano was about 130 cents flat.  However I am a hearty soul,
who reads his pianotech posts, and will tackle this in stride. Upon
inspection I discovered that the upper portion of the strings were ENCASED
in rust (not just a little corrosion, rust)and the bass windings were black.
  The plate was a blackish color and the felt was a little gray.  Puzzled I
looked behind the kick plate and discovered everything normal for this
piano...no rust, windings,plate, and bridges looked good.  The lid on the
piano was a little scarred but not badly.  there was a small place on the
side of the piano that was blistered.

I determined that the piano would be impossible to tune without a
restringing and I could not recommend restringing this instrument.  After a
discussion with the parents, I found they could not afford a better
instrument at this time, so I fixed a few ringing dampers so the piano could
at least make noise.  While I was doing that, I came up with what I thought
was what happened to this piano that created the problem.
I thought it might be fun to see if you can guess what happened to it.  I
don't know for sure but I think I've got it down.

Now "It's an Everett" is not an acceptable answer for the purposes of my
game.  The only prize with be the satisfaction of a job well done and the
joy of participating in a string that does not include American politics (By
the way I hear we are going to change our national motto to "Just Keep
Counting").

Have at it

Mitch Ruth
DeMossville, KY

"Hold on to your dreams, unless you dream of porcupines..."