temperament

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 11:31:46 EST

Don writes:

>My client is in possession of a CD recording performed Ignacy Jan
Paderewski with Mr Joubert's tuning.
>Has anyone tried any of our new fangled electronic tuning devices to try to
"extract" the temperament from a recording?

Greetings,
   No, not with the machine, but the ear will do it with a little training.
Listen to the tonal image on the CD, and then find a newer version that you
might assume to be ET.
  Our new recording will have the same piece in three tunings,  and you may
be surprised how distinct the sound of ET is when compared to two others.
  Let us know if you can discern the temperament by machine.  If you had the
score, I think you could establish a baseline against any A that may be
played, and then look for sustained notes through out the piece.  I, for one,
would be very interested in hearing what you find.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT