npr/NPR/pri

Tue, 14 Nov 2000 07:26:33 -0600

At 06:51 11/14/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Friends,
>
>I can see Kevin's point, although I am thinking that our local station has
>changed from saying NPR, National Public Radio, to PRI, Public Radio
>International.  Are they one and the same?  Is NPR now obsolete?  Or are
>they two different organizations?
>
>Regards, Clyde

Clyde, my friend, your confusion is natural.  PRI is a parallel
organization, which was spearheaded (as I recall) by MPR.

MPR is Minnesota Public Radio, and is one of the largest state systems
within NPR. Prairie Home Companion, St Paul (Sunday) Morning, Sound Money
and other programs originate there and are picked up by NPR. The name
attached to those programs was changed to reduce cornfuzion. (especially
here in Iowa) Perhaps you with your Bose Acoustic Wave can tell the
difference between announcers saying MPR and NPR, the 8-track with radio
insert in my truck tends to garble the two. ;-}

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician -mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
Voice-(319)-387-1204  //  Fax (319)-387-1076(Dept.office)

College: The place where you have three options--to sleep, to study, or to
party - but only get to pick two per semester.