Where moth and rust doth corrupt

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 10:50:12 -0600

>I found obvious moth damage to key bushings and back rail cloth.
>
>We got this thing used a few years ago, it had had wippens, hammers/s/f
>replaced and was well regulated, so I had had no reason to remove keys from
>keyframe until now.  The hammers show no damage, nor do the rebound pillows.
>
>Would the fact that there is no damage to hammers, etc. be best attributed
>to moth resistant wool or point to the damage occuring prior to hammer,
>etc. replacement?
>
>I cannot recall the last time I've run into moth problems. Outside of
>replacing all affected cloth what can I do to prevent further damage to
>stuff like centerpin bushings, hammers?
>
>Conrad

Hi Conrad,
You got it used? You hadn't needed to look at the action until now? How
would you know what the condition of the back rail cloth was when the piano
came in? Wouldn't it seem likely that the wippens and hammers/s/f were
replaced because the moths had eaten them at the same time they ate the
back rail cloth and whoever replaced the w/h/s/f, just didn't bother with
anything under the keys? If you don't actually see little wigglers in that
back rail cloth, it's likely old damage. I'd guess the perpetrators are
long gone and the rest of the felt is as safe as it can be in a practice room.

Ron N