Suggestions Wanted For Soundboard Repair

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 17:55:20 -0600

Hi Glen,
            Work some cold hide glue into the seperation with an artist
spatula, (only .010" thick.)  once into the crack use compressed air to
blow it in deeper. Keep doing it untill you start to see some coming
through at the upper side, between rim and board. Then clampand leave for
24hrs to dry.
Regards Roger

At 11:03 AM 14/11/00 -0500, you wrote:
>We have a grand that we're in the process of rebuilding-an average calibre
>make.
>
>It's been refinished, getting a new pin block, etc. Soundboard is being
>shimmed and has enough bearing.
>
>The glue joint of the soundboard to the liner is loose in a few places-you
>can hear it by tapping around the perimiter of the soundboard.
>
>The question is:
>What are some suggestions on how to best re-glue the loose sections before
>the plate goes back in?
>
>Our technician working on it feels that just getting some glue in there and
>clamping it is not the best since there is old hide glue in there already
>and the old glue will prevent a good bond with the new glue.
>
>I had a similar problem before with a vertical piano and solved it the
>following way:
>Cleaned out the glue joint where it was loose by working a ground down hack
>saw blade in the glue joint. This cleaned out the old glue.
>Worked glue into the section, with the help of gravity (actually since the
>piano was in our shop we suspended the piano upside down with a lift we
>have as the joint in question was at the top).
>Clamped soundboard to liner.
>
>It's a little bit harder than that with this piano as it is a grand.
>Getting to the joint where the soundboard is loose is in the back part of
>the piano and has a piece of wood that extends out about 8" above where the
>rear leg is attatched. Removing that section would make it easier, but that
>part of wood is glued in and the case has already been refinished.
>
>Any tips appreciated!
>
>Glenn Grafton
>Grafton Piano & Organ Co.
>Souderton PA
>http://www.dprint.com/grafton/
>gleng@fast.net
>800-272-5980
>
>The box said "Requires Windows 95, or better." So I bought a Macintosh.

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.
306-665-0213
Fax 652-0505