sure wish I had more tech in the tech list

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:18:36 EST

Greetings all,
    Requests for focussing the list subject matter always meet with
resistance, often from those that fear a one dimensional list and see a need
for a broader inclusion of topics. I can agree with that, to an extent.
    However, when a signifcant number of postings to a list are off the topic
for which the majority of list members joined, the list begins to lose a lot
attraction, attendance, and value.  It is a simple signal-to-noise ratio,
and I submit that we have a lot of noise on the pianotech list.   Some
members have written so many "non-piano", I no longer can justify the time to
read from those addresses,  and I think most of us are the same way. There
are others posters,(I can think of several, such as Birkett, Coleman,
Stanwood most times, etc.)that I read, no matter what the subject heading is.

     It will be an individual question for each of us,  but we can all
benifit if we ask ourselves before posting, "would this be better sent to an
individual than everybody?"  A little discipline can go a long way.
    Now, for the technical pieces of this post.  I have had my acrylic ivory
repair kit for about two years.  I have used it over a dozen times, but last
night at the guild meeting, as two of us "raced" our key repair jobs,  my
resin wouldn't set up.  Is this a normal shelf-life ended?
   Also,  I am observing a Steinway Style II grand( 1874, partial plate),
bulging upward in the middle of the pinblock and falling drastically in
pitch.  This was a Steinway Restoration Department job of about 5 years ago.
Anybody else deal with any of these beasts, before?
REgards,
Ed Foote RPT