Bridge Pin Drilling

Ward & Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:35:21 -0600

Hi Terry,
I'd construct a template of the bridge top as near as you can determine what
that used to be or what you can determine would work. I have found in the
past it is almost as quick to recap as to do this extensive of an expoxy
repair but your mileage may vary. If you need practice in recapping this is
the ideal candidate. Your educational fund may partially subsidize the
project. In either case, I would try to reintroduce some side bearing and
not be overly concerned with the nth degree of accuracy.
Dale Probst, RPT
Member, TEAM20001
PTG Annual Convention
Reno, NV --July 11-15, 2000
email: wardprobst@cst.net
(940)691-3682 voice
(940) 691-6843 fax
TEAM2001 website: http://www.ptg.org/conv.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Farrell
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2000 2:20 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Bridge Pin Drilling

I have refurbished bridges with small cracks next to the bridge pins
successfully using epoxy. In these cases the position of the original bridge
pin hole was quite evident. I will be repairing a bass bridge on a 1937
Mathushek Spinet Grand (this piano - what a hoot! - pretty good shape) in
the near future. The speaking length side bicord pins have all cracked the
bridge top and all moved over like little dominoes, such that there is a
continuous crack all along the pin line. The bicord bass strings are
straight over the bridge, there is no dogleg as there should be across the
bridge top because of the pin movement due to the cracked bridge top. I know
the best thing to do is recap. This is out of the question due to financial
considerations.

I plan on repairing the disturbed wood with West System epoxy thickened with
their hi-density adhesive filler. I can only imagine that I will largely
fill the original bridge pin holes in the process - in fact it would be much
easier to simply fill the entire crack along with the original bridge pin
holes. OK, so now I need to redrill for new bridge pins. Do I drill a little
bit large and set the pin in epoxy. Or do I drill with an appropriate sized
drill in the same manner I would drill a hole in a new bridge for the bridge
pin.

My concern is whether drilling a bridge-pin-sized hole in epoxy will yield
the same snug fit for the bridge pin as it would in maple. I fear that it
might crack/shatter/goof-up the epoxy and not yield a snug pin fit. Simply
drilling and pounding a new pin would be easiest, but I think drilling a
slightly oversized hole and setting the new pin in a second addition of thin
epoxy is the best way to do it. Waddayathink.

Just sittin' here twiddling thumbs in Florida 'cause the judge told us to
stop countin' ballots
Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida