Bridge Pin Drilling

bhebert BHebert@compuserve.com
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 03:24:55 -0500

Has anyone considered epoxy with dowells to support the cracked bridge?
Even hammer shank dowells could be drilled at a convienent angle to support
the epoxy across the crack.  I have actually bolted cracked bridges to
compress my epoxy joint and privide additional support on cracked bass
bridges when I couldn't justify a cap.

Blaine Hebert
bhebert@compuserve.com

Message text written by INTERNET:pianotech@ptg.org

I would consider recapping, but it just doesn't appear to be a reasonable
option in someone's living room. Or am I not aware of some great tricks?
This piano is in an elderly couple's nice living room.  No way am I going
router down the existing cap, clamp on a new cap (I always use go bars in
my
shop), and rout off the cap edges in this living room. All of this will be
double hard with the plate in and all the plain wire strings in. If this
job
were being done in my shop, it would absolutely be a new cap. But in this
living room - I just can't imagine doing that. Have others done such a job
in a home with the plate and all the plain wires in? If so, how did you do
it, and how long did it take?

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida