large uprights

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 09:47:33 -0800 (PST)

Another thing - why isn't anyone making large uprights
anymore?  For example, 54" to 60" uprights could be
similar in quality to 6' and 7' grands, with the
grands being better as far as the action goes and
maybe in a few other areas in which I temporarily am
inflicted with Piano Technician's Memory Loss.
--- Conrad Hoffsommer <hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu>
wrote:
> Stephen Airy,
> At 08:22 11/15/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>
> I'll let someone like Del fill in tonal reasons for
> the bridge placement,
> but some of my observations are:
>
> >   Would it be possible, say, if the piano is 60"
> tall and 60" wide, to
> > have a 66 to 68" A1 string in such a piano?
>
> My personal piano is a 58 1/2" Nittinger "Upright
> Concert Grand", built
> sometime near the last turn of a century.  It's A1
> length is 50 1/4" or
> about an inch longer than a '60s Baldwin "R".
>
> Longer strings would necessitate a greater angle. A
> greater angle could
> cause one of our favorite spinet (or any very small
> piano) idiotsyncracies
> - the mismatch between hammer angle and string angle
> which causes hammers
> to strike strings of neighboring notes.  Of course,
> you could carve the
> hammers to resemble ones you find in squares...
>
>  > Considering, for example, a 37" high 57" wide
> spinet, I don't think it
> would be impossible to >have strings approaching 54
> - 57", would it?  They
> are probably only 40" in most spinets these >days.

I've noticed Baldwins have longer strings.