oddities puzzler #2

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 14:27:12 -0600

All sorts of new experiences this week. Normally, I don't like puzzlers
much, because I trouble shoot with a sort of elimination decision tree,
rather than a list of possibilities to check, and I need to have all three
hands on something to understand it. This one, however, I thought was
unusual enough to show you.

It's an older generic console (didn't even look at the name). As I was
taking the front off, I plunked on a few keys to get some idea of what I
was up against, when I noticed the treble half didn't play. "Oh yea", she
said, "The kids have been having trouble up there." So why don't they tell
you these things when they schedule the appointment?

The bass half worked fine, but from mid treble up, there was progressively
more and more lost motion until the hammers wouldn't move at all in the
last octave and a half. Keys, keybed, or action specific? Running a finger
across the top of the hammer moldings and again across the backchecks
indicated that the flanges were intact and the screws were holding them in
place on the rail. I lifted wippens by hand and got the same effect as with
the keys. Ding! Diagnostics complete, in about half a minute. Having
decided what I was looking for, I pulled the action and found what
logically had to be the only possible reason for the symptoms, though this
is the first time I've seen it... in a vertical.

I'm off to the shop now to fix it. Name "it".

Ron N