Piano Finishes

gutlo gutlo@bestweb.net
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 07:00:01 -0500

----------
> From: bases-loaded@juno.com
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Piano Finishes
> Date: Sunday, November 19, 2000 5:01 PM
>
> Terry -
>
> I have used Target Coatings Premium Spray Lacquer (PSL) on my last 3
> grands.  I can whole-heartedly endorse it as a great WB finish.  In
> particular, an ebony job I did using their products (black production WB
> lacquer and 3-4 coats PSL clear gloss) is the best looking ebony job I
> have ever done, with as litle fuss as you can expect on a job like that.
> I rubbed to satin/semi, but am told that, unlike many WB finishes, the
> PSL also rubs to gloss beautifully.  I found it to be very user friendly,
> sprays much like NC lacquer, levels well, dries quickly without the soft
> belly, sands and rubs wonderfully well, and is superior to NC lacquer in
> durability and mar and chemical resistance.  And the 100% burn-in quality
> is a real plus, and is not time sensitive.  In other words, you do not
> have to recoat within a certain window to keep the burn-in effective.
>
> They also have a finish that is very nice called Oxford Hybrid Varnish,
> which is easily the warmest looking WB finish I have ever seen.  Somehow
> there is an emulsified tung oil in the finish that really warms the look
> in a big way.  There is a cross-linker available with this finish that
> increases its durability considerably.  I used it on an old upright and
> it really had a nice heirloom or vintage look to it, similar in apearance
> to an oil varnish, but is a WB and I sprayed it on.  Very forgiving
> finish and easy to use, but not appropriate when buffing to gloss.  It
> was probably the quickest route to a good looking finish that I have
> experienced in a long time.
>
> I think Target Coatings is a quality supplier, and Jeff Weiss is always
> willing to help out with any technical problems with his products.  Jeff
> Jewitt thinks highly of Target's products, too, and I have found his
> opinions to be very trustworthy.  In fact, last time I talked to him
> (July 2000), he was completely phasing out his use of NC lacquer because
> of how much he liked the PSL.
>
> That's high praise.
>
> Mark Potter
> bases-loaded@juno.com
>

> On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 10:48:16 -0500 "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
> writes:
> > Well, here I sit boxed into refinishing (or making ill-fated attempts
> > to) a
> > piano again. I am stuck on waterbase. I am eyeing OXFORD PREMIUM
> > SPRAY
> > LACQUER (1000 Series) water-base finish by Target Coatings. Has
> > anyone tried
> > it? Two features it claims attracts my interest: 100% burn in, so no
> > "witness lines" when flat-sanding final coat and ease of
> > flat-sanding/polishing - the big one being 100% burn-in. That is
> > where I
> > have had problems in the past. Anyone????????

> [...]
List,

Why the need for clear over black to obtain ebony piano finish?  Why not
straight black, like nc lacquer?

Clearcoat over black is a great idea, until you have to touch it up.  Then
you'll get that "floating" effect, which means if you (or a mover or
customer) scratch the lid, or heaven help you, the case, you would have to
spray over the entire area to make a high quality repair.

PianoLac has the same attributes as the Target coating, plus:
1.  No need for clear over black-just rub out the black.
2.  A sealer that doesn't raise the grain, has pore filling qualities, and
can be sprayed as much as necessary to fill the pores with total clarity.
3.  Gets its hardness without the use of crosslinkers.

Beware of crosslinkers.  They are usually isocyanates or aziridines, both
of which are extremely toxic, even in small amounts.  They are particularly
dangerous because they are odorless.

PianoLac is now "ready for prime time."  I'd be happy to help anyone get
going with a piano finishing project.

Arthur Grudko  845-855-0996