HVLP NEW TOPIC!!!!!!!!

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 22:33:26 EST

In a message dated 11/19/00 5:39:39 AM Pacific Standard Time,
bases-loaded@juno.com writes:

<<
 I have been using HVLP for about 8 years now and really like the
 increased efficiency over the older high pressure spraying rigs.  Used to
 be about 65-75% of the material being sprayed didn't end up in the piece!
  At least with HVLP we tend to get 65-75% ON the piece.  Big savings in
 finishing material, and big savings to the environment.

 You probably already know this, but there are basically two ways you can
 go:  an HVLP gun that uses a turbine for air, or a 'conversion' HVLP gun
 that uses a compressor.   IF you already have a compressor then that is
 definitely the way to go.  If you don't, then you will spend more money
 for the conversion set-up, but remember that there are many other uses
 for the compressor that make it extremely versatile in a shop setting.
 You DO need to make sure that the air requirements of your gun can be met
 by the air compressor you have, though.  The majority of older HVLP
 conversion guns tend to be 'air hogs'.  There are some newer ones out
 that are less demanding that way.  I have been using an Accuspray model
 10 gun with a 5 hp compressor and have been very happy with it.  Try
 Homestead Finishing if you are interested in a newer style HVLP gun from
 Italy that is getting rave reviews at a decent price:
 www.homesteadfinishing.com

 If money is no object, then the Kremlin line of 'air-assisted airless'
 guns are the Porsche's of the industry.  Lays the material on like
 butter, with very little bounceback and overspray.  Their guns start
 around $1,000 and go upward quickly from there.

 As far as turbines go, I have very little knowledge of them, but be sure
 to determine your needs before you go shopping.  There are many choices
 out there, and some of the guns do not have as many controls as you may
 want.  Talk to some refinishers in your area, or go to an expo where lots
 of these reps will have their wares on display.

 Do it right the first time, and be happy for a long time.

 Mark Potter
 bases-loaded@juno.com

It is nice to know that a conversion for HVLP for us that have air
compressors. When I did a lot of refinishing I purchased at pressure tank
that puts out around 5#'s at the outlet for spraying. Like the HVLP, you have
little or no overspray like the syphon sprayers tend to do. It may be cheaper
than the conversion but I have not checked prices lately.

If you plan on using water base lacquers either of these systems are
necessary. Water base lacquers are too thick for syphon sprayers.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland Chapter
Oregon City, OR
www.davespianoworks.locality.com