temperament

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 23:55:18 -0600

>    These effects of temperament are easily distinguished.  On a well
>tempered  piano, play the prelude in C# from the WTC in C#, and then
>transpose it to C.
>  You will immediately notice the lack of vitality and drive in the music.
> There is a definite difference caused by the wide C#-F third and it is the
> tonal texture of the harmony.  There are no held notes in this passage,
> everything is fast, but the temperament difference is great.
> Ed Foote RPT

Sorry, transposing the C# WTC to C is way beyond me. I would like to ask who
is capable of doing this?  Any given faculty in the piano department in the
school of music?  Alas I am too far from a university.  By synchronicity two
days ago I heard the WTC C# played by Glen Gould on NPR.   Wondered why Bach
wrote it in C# instead of C, or if he in a sly moment transposed it FROM C.
But it shouldn't be that much of a task to record it both in C# and C.   Now
That might be an interesting project for the HT recordings. Present one
ormore pieces in its original and a transposed key.  ---ric