VIRUS ALERT

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 18:10:37 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Andrew M. Rudoff <andy@rudoff.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 11, 2000 3:32 PM
Subject: Re: VIRUS ALERT

> >> I think the deal is to not open any attachments!
> >>
> >> David I.
> >>
> > If that is the case, why does the list send messages with
> >attachments? ---ric (ididn'topenitbutlookedatitwithrightclick)
>
> Yea, that's a good point.  There are many other mailing lists
> that simply strip all attachments on any post.  I have thought
> about doing that.  What do you you folks think about it?
>
> Keep in mind that if I strip every attachment, then you won't
> be able to post pictures, etc.  Of course, someone has already pointed
> out that they are afraid to be the first one to open a picture anyway.
>
> -andy (who wishes he had stock in virus prevention software companies)

If you have to do this manually day after day, that is asking too much.  I
suppose the virus prevention software companies don't see a profit in
developing screens for mailing lists themselves. So perhaps we should adopt
a policy that a note should be put in the subject line, "attachment OK".
    I would think a feature of mail list software would be, if enabled, to
reject any attachments and notify the sender.  That way the bugs that send
email out wo the sender knowing might be caught faster.  Or the list
software could somehow pass only jpg, or gif, or whatever it is set to,
again sending back those not authorized.   If such list software exists but
costs a lot, you could ask for donations.
    If the anti-virus software for individuals for 30 bucks a year works I
suppose that is the final answer as the user is protected from all sources
not just from this or other mailing lists.  Or the old precaution, "if in
doubt delete"  Hey, you can always go to the archives in a couple of days.
I suppose the archives are safe?   ---ric