Insurance claim

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 13:56:55 EST

In a message dated 11/20/00 4:52:51 PM !!!First Boot!!!, vbela@MIT.EDU writes:

<< Hello all,

 I looked in the archive and have not found what I am looking for. Could
 someone help me with what kind of procedure to go by into looking at two
 instruments that has been in a fire at a church? It is mostly smoke. They
 are two turn of the century Steinway. One a "C" and the other a "A". How to
 write it, money figure, what to look for? etc.

 Any help would be greatly appreciated.

 Thank you

 Victor Belanger RPT
 Somerville, MA >>

Victor

I have commented on this before. Pianos that were involved in a fire need to
be completely rebuilt. Soot from smoke gets into every crevasse and opening
in piano. Cleaning the strings will not get the soot out from under the
strings. Cleaning the action parts will not get the soot and smoke smell out
of them. The heat from the fire most likely will have damaged the pin block,
and even some of the glue joints.

Both of these pianos are worth rebuilding, as opposed to replacing them.

Give an estimate that replaces all action parts, replaces the pin block and
strings, and refinishes the piano.

Willem