sundry notions on action/inaction

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:05:20 EST

>>1. What is the efficacy and/or effectivenss in brushing (vigorously) the
whippen heel cushion<<

   It always made me feel better about not replacing them.

>>2. What is the relative effectiveness of bolstering knuckles with yarn,
vice knucle replacement

   Hmm,  if the knuckles are worn out,  then so are the hammers, and usually
the pinning.  I vote replace.  Replace just the knuckle, if the other factors
are ok,  but I don't bolster anymore, and the ones that I did always had some
inconsistancy in their let-off feel.

>>3. What, if any, is the "rule of thumb" in determining the limits of
reshapability of badly worn hammers >

   I would think that when 30 % of their weight is gone, they are toast.
Usually the C4-C6 octave is the most heavily worn area,  and when there is
less than half the original felt above the core, it is beyond use.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT