Pinblockless Wurlitzers

TomRPT@AOL.COM TomRPT@AOL.COM
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 20:32:56 EST

I'm new to this cyber-stuff, so bear with me. I NEED SOME HELP!!!
    A few weeks ago I checked out a 1929 Wurlitzer studio piano (it's a
family original and has tons of sentamental value). The bass bridge is in
bits; no biggie. But I noticed that the tuning pins were remarkably tight,
and, although the piano hadn't been tuned in (they said) fifteen years, it
wasn't all that whacked.
    So we brought it into the shop to recap the bridge, and I took it apart,
and  - - whoops! - - - no pinblock.
    The pins are seated in the casting (I assume) and they have cute little
wedges driven into them from the back (to splay them out somewhat?) I can
tell it will be  challenge to tune, just because it FEELS so odd. . .but it
seems to work.
    My conundrum:  there are no backposts (just a heavy full-perimeter
plate). I am nervous about dropping tension on the bass section to fix the
bridge for two reasons. The first is, am I going to somehow dislodge the
snugness of the tuning pins? and, second, am I going to have the darned thing
collapse on me because there's no visible means of support (so to speak) to
prevent uneven stress from becoming dangerously , well, dangerous?
    Has anyone out there ever worked on one of these beasts? If so, I'd love
to hear from you and get either encouragement or caution, or both.
    Like I said, it's a family piano; otherwise I might pass on the job, even
though I'm this far into it.
    I eagerly await responses!
    Thanks!   Tom Patten, RPT
        The Great Susquehanna Piano Co.      Milton, PA
    TomRPT@aol.com