re spelling, grammar

Kevin E. Ramsey RPT ramsey@extremezone.com
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 19:06:52 -0800

Bill, this is an interesting line of thought. Given the products of our
current public school systems, it seems highly likely, but we must not allow
that to happen. When people become lazy with their spelling and grammar, an
important tool of communication becomes degraded. I think we have more that
enough trouble communicating as it is. But, if the public school system is
allowed to sanction things like "Ebonics", which is basically street slang,
then yes, all will be lost. Some of us are fighting to not allow that to
happen. Just my (serious) two cents worth.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Billbrpt@AOL.COM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Monday, November 20, 2000 10:17 AM
  Subject: Re: re spelling, grammar

  In a message dated 11/20/00 11:51:58 AM Central Standard Time,
  dnereson@dimensional.com (Dave Nereson)
  writes:

    I guess my beef about spelling and grammar is that when it's bad,
especially
    in printed matter like the Journal or even in the bylaws or exam
manuals,
    it makes us look unedjamacated, when one one of the goals of PTG is to
    increase the professional image of the piano technician.   On this list,
it
    doesn't matter so much, I guess,   since e-mail is here today and
deleted
    tomorrow.   It's just that I've noticed a dramatic increase in bad
spelling
    everywhere in recent years, including among doctors and other
professional
    types.  At first I thought it was just the Gen-Xers and the decline in
    quality of teaching in public schools, or too much emphasis on computers
    and reliance on spell-checkers instead of a solid grounding in the
"three
    R's", but it's becoming ubiquitous of late.

  I also feel that good language use is important but there are many who
will
  outwardly say that they really don't care.  I think the increase that you
see
  in poor writing is because you're seeing *more* writing.  The computer
allows
  you to see the writing of countless numbers of people whose writing you
may
  not ever have otherwise seen.

  Both written and spoken language evolve because of influences upon them.
  American written English has dropped the "u" from "color" and "honor", and
it
  is common to see "night" as "nite", "light" as "lite", "through" as
"thru",
  "plough" as "plow", "doughnut" as "donut", etc.  These changes mostly
  occurred in the last 50 years.  Just think what kind of influence
computers,
  which are still very new to most people, has had on the way people write
in
  cryptic shorthand.

  I think we're in for some revamping of the entire system and that in say
30
  years or so, reading the Journal of today will be about as foreign as
reading
  Shakespeare or the King James Bible is for us today.  Soon, "I thought I
  heard him coughing throughout the night" will be written, "I thot I herd
him
  koffing thruout the nite".  People will stop complaining about it and
accept
  it.

  Bill Bremmer RPT
  Madison, Wisconsin

  P.S.  Even my spell checker had no problem with "lite", "thru" and "plow".