Piano Finishes

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 21:15:59 -0500

Well, a couple of reasons I choose to try refinishing.

1) I have alot of experience and have had very good luck with marine
finishing. I know pianos are different (although I have often thought of
just getting a can a good spar varnish and brushing on about 12 coats!) and
that is why I am at the beginning stages of the process.

2) I have had lousy luck getting someone to refinish pianos. People say they
will, and then when its time to refinish - "my son quit and I am
understaffed and am not doing pianos anymore". Or the one guy I found that
did it - WOW what a nightmare of an experience. I ended up paying the %^%ing
(^)(*&@ $3,000 and had to rub the piano out myself.

3) I tend to be VERY picky regarding finish quality. It's a problem in my
life. At least this way I have control and if it is less than perfect, I
know who to talk to about it.

Also, I am not yet convinced that I have the best finishing materials (or
good enough), or the best equipment (or good enough). I am well aware than
one needs skill, but I also know that you will never put a fine finish on a
yacht with paint from Kmart. So I search and ask you fine folks. I may have
made my first post on this subject a bit too whiney. Sorry & thanks for your
input. All the while I am researching and trying this refinishing, I am also
on a continuing hunt for someone to sub my refinishing to. I do however,
feel that I need to develop the ability to do it, at a minimum for those
times when I find I cannot rely on a refinisher - like now!

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com