Unison Width - was stability issue

joegum joegum@webtv.net
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 00:09:45 -0500 (EST)

<<<...... Kimball consoles, et. al., often have this razor sharp divide
between sounding acceptable and having the unison scream at you. Just
hard hammers?
What gives? Anyone got some expertise here?
Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida>>>
I tuned many, many Kimball consoles back in the "Eighties" when I was
doing work for a local piano store.  The more false beats an instrument
has, the less "wiggle room" you have when tuning unisons (and octaves).
And if the hammers are overly bright... if the instrument is somewhat
shrill....  this just magnifies the problem.  I've always believed that
voicing them down somewhat would improve matters greatly.
Unfortunately, most people who purchased these pianos had low price as
one of the leading priorities.  To suggest anything that might cost
either the piano owner or store owner more money would simply put me in
the hot seat.  I'm so glad the "Eighties" are over and I'm off the
tightrope.  (Well....mostly.)  JG