Unison Width - was stability issue

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 09:44:42 -0600

At 12:35 AM 21/11/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Roger,
>
>    Help! The chart showed up a bit off, because of formating, and not clear
>as to what point you are making. Could you make the chart 'skinier', and
>re-send it?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dan Reed
>
>In the mean time...softening a hammer, allows it to linger-longer on the
>wire before rebounding...Yes?

I don't think so,  a softer hammer will flex at the shoulders and aid the
rebound.
Kind of like comparing a base ball and tennis ball, thrown against a brick
wall.
The tennis ball will rebound faster and farther.
Take an old tube driven electonic organ. play one note of a high pitched
flute stop. ( it will aproximate a sine wave and scream) add the octave
higher, it will seem to mellow. (2nd partial)
now add the octave and 5th. (3rd partial) you will soon get the picture.

I understand this to mean it dampens the
>higher frequencies, making the result less 'tinny'. There is less
>development of these higher partials. No? If not, why does it sound more
>'mellow', if not from reducing these partials?

As the wave form becomes more complex I believe our hearing has a better
tolerance to higher frequencies.
Listening to a tone generator with sine and square wave outputs will
illustrate the point.
Bright notes have been described for years as an excess of higher partials,
the  reverse is true.
regards Roger

>Still a student
>
>Dan Reed