sundry notions on . . . pianotech-digest V2000 #1029

Vince Mrykalo Vince@byu.edu
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 09:22:31 -0700

At 04:48 PM 11/20/00 -0700, you wrote:

> Dear list:
>
> This is to solicit opinions on several  processes sometimes used in
> "reconditioning" a grand action.
>
> 1. What is the efficacy and/or  effectivenss in brushing (vigorously) the
> whippen heel cushion

The only thing that this probably achieves is opening up the wool fibres to
accept teflon powder.

> 2. What is the relative effectiveness  of bolstering knuckles with yarn,
vice
> knucle replacement

You have a choice in knuckle size if you replace them (i.e. Renner small or
regular).  Bolstering knuckles could be a viable choice if the larger size was
correct in the first place.

> 3. What, if any, is the "rule of thumb"  in determining the limits of
> reshapability of badly worn  hammers

Sound and regulation-ability.  If the hammers are worn enough so as to render
regulation attempts fairly useless, then replace them.  If you can regulate
the
action and they sound good, keep them.

> Any thoughts, opinions, etc. would be  most welcomed.
>
> Thank you,
> Robin  Blankenship
>

> -

Vinny
<mailto:vince@byu.edu>

I heard on the radio just a bit ago that Vice President Gore issued
a statement in which he said that he regrets ever having invented the
electoral college . . . . .