Unison Width - was stability issue

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 23:17:12 -0500

"the Winters"  ARRRRRGGGG! "Or the old Melodigrands" OUUUUUUUUCH!

Man, you must be bionic! Do you have any scars?  ;-)   I had the pleasure of
tuning another Kimball (I think it might have been - was a stencil) console
today with little concrete hammers. WOW. Really bad. I told the lady she
might want to consider a little voicing to reduce the harsh, bright tone.
She asked me if that would help reduce the "tinny sound" I said "yup". It
was super loaded with falseness and had a ton of unisons that had only the
micro tuning point where they sounded less bad. This is a piano that is only
five years old - and has likely the hardest hammers I have ever heard. I
hope she goes for a little voicing - I am very curious to employ some of
Roger Jolly's ideas on this and see if I can make the varmit sound
acceptable.

The poor teen-age girl is in her sixth year of classical piano lessons (her
teacher is one of the top ones in the area) and she has been playing this
88-note disaster for the past 5 years without any tuning, etc. (the owners
live in a VERY nice house, etc.). I wish I could see her face after she
plays it this evening after tuning (was 50 cents flat and horribly
out-of-tune). She kept telling her mom: "our piano doesn't sound like my
teachers". Mom thought it sounded in fine tune. She said that she played it
over the phone to her teacher who said it drastically needed tuning! Talk
about tone deaf!

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida