Jasper American Piano

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 09:09:36 -0600

Hi Folks,

Why should we bash the instruments that give us our livelyhood. Any piano
can be improved. I have never come across a piano I consider perfect
(though I have seen some that were magnificent).

Steam voicing on a Kimball will dramatically improve things with little
effort. And you can even charge money for it. Where exactly is the problem?
We are hired to do a service. We do the best we can given the limitations
of the instrument.

If the piano swings in pitch there are only two possible problems. The
piano has a "structural" problem (rarely). Or the environment is not
suitable. Don't whine about it. Sell them a humidity control system, with a
back cover for uprights.

As for Kimball going to a lot of trouble to make a "lousey"
instrument--well Steinway has the 1098 and their 40" piano is not my
particular cup of tea either.

At 05:58 AM 11/22/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>Yeah, Terry, you got it......it's a Kimball. I had one customer with one of
>these, and she had me tune it regularly. It would swing all over the place
>with every change of weather,
<snip>
This is one reason I wasn't sorry to
>hear the Kimball was going out of business. As my mentor Gene Rudder said
>once, "They went to a lot of trouble to make a lousy piano."

Regards,

drose@dlcwest.com
http://donrose.xoasis.com/

3004 Grant Rd.