Unison Width - was stability issue

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 21:18:27 -0800

I've been following this thread with great/grate interest. I too, have tuned
quite a few "cheaper" or older uprights/grands, where it does indeed seem
that the margin for tuning a unison beatless, is RAZOR thin. This MUST also
correspond to the fact that it will take that much LESS movement of the
soundboard or other factor to throw these unisons right OUT of tune again!
And yes, I too find that by voicing the hammers down, as someone else wisely
suggested, it will tend to "bury" or "blur" the fundemental/partials, so the
unison, even if not so perfectly set, will not sound as disagreeable as
before.

Terry Peterson
Associate Member PTG
Los Angeles, CA