Twangy pianos + stringing

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 22:36:13 EST

<<"Understand that I'm not talking about cranking four turns in a wire on
installation, but the up to a half turn necessary to point the tuning pin
in the right direction after winding the coil. I suppose it's possible to
mess one up that way, but I haven't tried it.
Ron N.">>

I have been following this thread with interest and find that I agree
completely with Ron in his comments...so far! :-)

In several pseudo scientific moments, over a period of years, when I have
become bored with pounding in new pins and strings I have experimented with
twisting plain wire strings to see if they do develop "false beats". In no
instance have I observed an increase nor a decrease of the rate of "falsness"
apparent in any string twisted or untwisted.
  The same holds true for "twisting" bass strings. When there has been a
"false" beat in the string before twisting that "false" beat is still there
after twisting even though the tone of that string may have been appreciably
altered.
  As I said these have been pseudo scientific, and not subject to peer
review, observations. While all the usual supects are still there, i.e. poor
terminations, loose bridge pins, non contiguously sized wire, etc. I have
also experienced "false" beats that were immune to manipulation from, or via,
these suspects. When they have 'all' been ruled out as causing "false" beats
and the wire has been changed without a concurrent change in pitch or tenor
of the "false" beats perhaps we must conclude that the reason lies somewhere
else...where might that be...I dunno but dem beats still be dere. :-)
Of course we could speculate that the second piece of wire was misformed in
the same amount and at the same place as the former wire was..............

Say! Maybe we could get those vote recounters to decide for us!! :-) And it
is possible that the scale designers made the scale that way to give us
fodder for discussion?
Jim Bryant (FL)