Twangy pianos + stringing

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 14:45:12 -0500

Hi Ron N.,

I can't add a whole lot to what you're saying, but I did go and check out
what frequency I might be tuning to at C8 with a "normal" stretch, at least
what would be normal for me.

On the low side, I rarely tune high C at less than about 4245 cps, and on
the high side, I rarely tune high C at more than about 4295 cps.  (I'm using
figures from TuneLab, which you probably have too.  Most of my tunings will
fall within that range.

Do the usual scaling programs try to accommodate any of the variations in
pitch that might be 'common' with a real world type tuning (stretch factor),
or do they just ignore that all together?  Just curious.  Not having played
with one personally, I wouldn't know for sure, but I would suspect that
there could be at least some difference between a 4186 cps pitch setting and
a 4295 cps pitch setting.  ??

(on a more personal note,...)
Glad to hear you had a good Thanksgiving.  I did too.  This being the first
major holiday without 'significant other', I was wondering how things might
go emotionally, but there was no problem at all.  I done good!  Got to spend
the day with my family, and eat too much as usual.  And spent a little time
writing a few letters and cards to friends...  I had a good Thanksgiving.

Interesting thoughts in this thread.  Glad to see something besides
politics!  :-)

Have a great weekend!

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA