Twangy pianos + stringing

joegum joegum@webtv.net
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 23:09:43 -0500 (EST)

Newton wrote:
<<<<You're looking up the wrong tree for false beat sources. Primary
source is bridge pins being ever so slightly loose and notching being
poorly done. The strings need to fit around the termination points
snugly to prevent falseness, some falseness can be caused by feed back
from the board and sympathetic vibrations from secondary scales (duplex
aliquots).>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>       Hi Newton.  Thanks for your
input. (I hope you're feeling better.) After your first sentence, ther
isn't anything you wrote in the above paragraph with which I'd disagree.
<<<<Modern string is very well made so irregulaRITIES in diameter and
shape are inconsequential for us, over pulling strings is not a problem
unless talking about four or five semitones or more and twisting strings
has had no observable effect on tone. Not to say tonal variations don't
occur but normal twisting while stringing is not an
issue.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> So, I'm super conservative.  Even if I'm
wrong on this, as long as no one can show me that I'm doing actual harm
by following the old ways, I feel more comfortable  doing as I was
shown.  (If  you believe I am doing harm, PLEASE do tell
me.)<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<      If you have a RCT you can
experiment by taking measurements, take a string off the pin and give it
a 360 turn and put it back on the pin and remeasure and compare. I would
try A4 AND a5.
oNCE A PIANO IS UP TO PITCH ALL THE STRINGS ARE LIFTED TO GET THE
CATINARY CURVE OUT OF THE STRING AS IT APPROACHES THE AGRAFFES IN ORDER
TO GET DEFINITIVE TERMINATION. iF THIS IS not DONE YOU WILL HAVE FALSE
BEATS EVERYWHERE, FOR SURE FOR SURE. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I have never owned or used a VTD. However, that is about to change.  I
am now on the waiting list for the Veritune?100.
wE HAVE LEARNED A LOT ABOUT MANY THINGS SINCE w. b. wHITE WROTE HIS
BOOKS. mUCH OF WHAT HE WROTE IS STILL USEFUL TODAY BUT SOME OF IT HAS
BEEN SUPERSEDED BY NEW INFORMATION. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I have no doubt that more is known today.  I never meant to imply that
false beats are caused exclusively by twisted and/or deformed strings.
I did post on this list a follow-up in which I quote authorities (other
than Dr. White) that seem to feel that false beats can be caused by
ill-handled strings as well as the usual suspects.  Have a nice weekend!
-Joe