Keytop Mat'l, thickness + sspppppppelllllling

Chris Gregg cgregg@cadvision.com
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 21:59:26 -0700

Greg,
	One way to do this job is to cut the old ivory off the keytop with a band
saw, and leave a thin veneer of wood under the ivory.  If done correctly,
there will be no wood to be seen at the front of the key but as the ivory
tapers from front to back there is enough wood under the joint to keep it
all in one piece.  Then simply glue the unit onto the old key that has been
dressed down correctly to take the new keytops.

Chris Gregg

At 11:17 AM 11/24/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>At 08:36 PM 11/23/00 -0500, Walter Gramza wrote:
>>... and ivory is outlawed and if available would be so costly to us as
>>the technician that we might have to take out a second mortgage on our
>>houses to pay for the ivory and the customer would never be willing to pay
>>the price to recover our cost let alone make any proffit on the job.
>
>I have seen some places advertise that they can get old keytop ivory
(legal because it comes from antiques), cut it to fit your keys and install
it, giving you a new "old" ivory keyboard.  Has anyone ever tried this or
seen it done?  Just how expensive would it really be?

>I'm seriously considering looking into it, because my oldie Steinway lost
its ivories long before I fell in love with it, and I'm thinking it might
like a new old set.  ;-)

 http://www.cadvision.com/cgregg