Twangy pianos + stringing

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 11:06:25 -0500

Joe,

There is more piano folklore out there than you will find in
mother Hubbard's cupboard none of which is supported by
measured experimentation.  Just someone's opinion.  I know,
I have had to give up a lot of my assumptions not based upon
facts.

You have had a number of assertions by some of the best
minds in the field today and yet you stubbornly cling to
unsupported and unwarranted opinions.

Stop and THINK about these items.

Twisting a treble string is the least possible source of
falseness, way, way down the list of factually supported and
empirically supported experience.  Accept this until you
yourself have accumulated enough proof to the contrary based
upon YOUR experiments with suitable equipment.

Twisting bass strings is universally done to tighten and
keep tight the wrap around the core.  Try NOT twisting the
strings and you will notice a considerable loss of
liveliness caused by the wrap not being as tight as it could
be.

We have learned, empirically and experientially, more about
pianos that was known when everyone of those books was
written.  Just because someone printed it does not make it
so.

98% (approximately) of falseness is caused by poor
termination...period.  Accept that and forget the way off
the wall theories and go get the work done and get good
tone.

		Newton