reply to Ilvedsen

David Ilvedson, RPT ilvey@jps.net
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 09:57:39 -0800

Hi Dale,

That's "Ilvedson"...I would like some more info on the how Yamaha and others
"shrink wrap" their hammers.  Some Korean hammers can not be penetrated with
needles while Yamahas can.  I believe that some on the list have been to the
Yamaha training in Japan, maybe they could pipe in...

David I.

-----Original Message-----
From: Erwinpiano <Erwinpiano@email.msn.com>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Friday, November 24, 2000 6:56 PM
Subject: reply to Ilvedsen

   Hi David
Just thought I would respond to your post on voicing yamaha hamrs. Having
voiced my share at my Dads dealership  I can tell you honestly that I veiw
the outcome of most efforts as not altogether inspiring .To put another
way,in our shop we never use yam. hmrs when replacing. Now obviously ever
body has there subjective bias etc. when talking hammers but Ican not get
the sound of my dreams with fact. hmrs.However as you well  know we work
with what we got Right! Because of the way yam. hmrs. are made i.e. dense
felt steamed to perfection they like many wil yield harder and yet harder
felt as they  are worn and filed .The densest portion being over the tip of
the moulding .As with all makes of shrink wrapped hmrs.  consistincy
varys.That being said at least in the past the pianos came in with hmr.
shoulders already to weak from over needling and theso called sacred zone
untouched i.e. from striking pt.  down to molding. But because of density
factors inherent in there design that little sacred zone can be the problem
and without some judicous needling in that area and possible reenforcing of
the shoulders with hrdnrs. you probably will not be completely satisfied.
Are we ever?To emphasize my point if you obliterated all but  the sacred
zone with needles the piano would probably still sound to bright Ask me how
I know.  aftr filing leveling strgs ,hmrs and tuning use one needle in that
zone to locate the hard spots. Go slowly a couple strokes at a time and
listen. the brooks four corner technique is very useful as can be couple
fairly deep strokes straight down the middle . If the hmrs are at all
reasonable these few measures  should help significantly.perhaps a few more
at the ends of the string marks.I find asingle needle an enormously useful
tool.Bottom line the sacred zone must be a connective and homogeneous piece
of the vocing puzzle not just a stand alone string thumper . Hope this might
be food for thought.  sincerely  Dale Erwin