Twangy pianos + stringing

joegum joegum@webtv.net
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 13:28:13 -0500 (EST)

  Hi Jim.  I do admit that I never actually tried to induce a false
beat...  by any means. I've always fought against them. In several
months,  I'll be doing a complete rebuild on a grand that I own and will
be reselling.  (This is the only way I'll rebuild from now on. No more
rebuilding by committee. No "Can you make it just a shade darker?" after
the last hand-rubbing.  No more "genllemen's agreements" only to find
that the rules change in the middle of the game.  From now on,  I make
ALL choices, set MY OWN time frame,  and then seek out the correct
customer to match the completed piano.  OOOPS...   I think I may have
just started another controversial thread.  Sorry.)   I'll test the
twist theory then with various wire sizes.  Not to be a pain in the
neck, but even if I can't generate false beats,  I think I'll still
avoid twisting.  Tony made an interesting point about twists possibly
altering the wire's elasticity.  (Tony, sorry I dragged you into this
again after you came to my rescue.)  Perhaps I've been doing the right
thing after all,  but for the wrong reason.
Tradition can preserve hidden wisdom.   Maybe we need to be cautious
before we discard a long time practice,  even if the effects aren't
obvious.   There may be consequences we haven't thought of.  And once
knowledge of a tradition is lost,  it's.....  well..... it's just gone.
(Maybe forever.)           -Joe