Bass bridge bearing

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 00:18:58 -0600

>On another subject, I've read or heard that the total downward pressure
>on the soundboard is about 1500 lbs., and that the approximate downward
>pressure of one string on the bridge is about 7 lbs.    1500/240 strings
>= 6.25 lbs. per string and  7 lbs. x 240 strings = 1680 lbs. total. , so
>these two figures are in the same ballpark.   That means a 42-string
>bass bridge would have about 300 lbs. pressing down on it.  Can that be
>right?  Many bass bridges are cantilevered out  --  no matter how good
>the glue joint, and even with screws into the apron from the back of the
>soundboard, it seems that two 150-lb. people standing on the
>cantilevered bass bridge would break it right off!

Hi Dave,
               In many pianos the bass string tension is almost double the
plain wire tension, with a corresponding increase in down bearing pressure.
 However, the strings are wider spaced, compared to say the treble, also 1
and 2 string unisons,this helps distribute the load over a wider area.
Greater stiffness and mass per unit length of the taller bass bridge, helps
with supporting the load, as does the positioning and height of the ribs .
An over simplification of a complex subject, that will lead into the old
Impedance, Reactance, debate.
I'm sure Ron and Del will contribute.
Just some thing to muse over.
Regards Roger